Monday, September 22, 2014

Oatmeal and Banana Smoothie

So, I have to thank my sister for introducing me to oatmeal smoothies. They have recently become a new obsession for her, and now that I've made it myself I can see why. They are both simple to prepare and very filling. If you have it for breakfast you won't be starving for a mid-morning snack. It also makes a nice treat at the end of the day.
The combination of oatmeal, chia seeds, yogurt, and fruit makes these a well balanced choice. There are many variations you can create with this recipe, have fun making your own. That's what's on my table tonight.

Oatmeal and Banana Smoothie:
Serves about 1-2
Prep Time: 5-8 minutes
Cook Time (oatmeal only): 6 minutes

Ingredients:
  • 1/4-1/3 cup old fashioned rolled oats, cooked
  • 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt (I prefer low-fat Greek yogurt)
  • 1 banana, halved
  • 1/2 cup milk, plain or vanilla Almond Breeze (may need to add more if consistency is too thick)
  • 2 teaspoons honey
  • 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup of ice cubes
  • 2 teaspoons chia seeds (optional)

Directions:
1. In a blender, combine oats, yogurt, banana, almond milk, honey, cinnamon, and chia seeds; puree until smooth. Add ice cubes and serve immediately.

Note: If you're looking to cut some of the calories from the drink, use water in place of the milk. It still tastes amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment