Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Chicken and Avocado Lime Salad


I love this chicken salad recipe! It is very healthy, as well as fast and simple to make when you are on the run.
It's also a great recipe for those warm summer days when you don't want to stay in a hot kitchen.

I originally got this idea from a friend of mine. She sent me a recipe for tuna salad with avocado and thought it would be great to feature on my blog.  Though I did like the idea, I am not a huge fan of tuna fish. I thought I could try it with canned chicken and add a few other ingredients to bring my own ideas to the recipe.

The creaminess of the avocado really enhances the flavor in ways you won't find in a chicken salad made with mayo. Give it a try and let me know what you think. That's what's on my table tonight!






Chicken and Avocado Lime Salad:
Serves about 5
Prep time: 10-15 minutes

Ingredients:
  • 2 - 12.5 oz cans chicken breast chunk, drained
  • 2 medium avocados, diced
  • 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lime juice
  • 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
  • 2-3 tablespoons light mayo
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 1/8 cup minced red onion
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1/4 teaspoon cumin
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper, as needed
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1 medium seeded plum tomato, finely diced
  • 1 jalapeño, minced (keep seeds for spiciness) 
  • 1/8 cup of green peas (optional)

Directions:

1. Put the chicken into a bowl large enough to hold all the ingredients.  Add red onions, red peppers, cumin, olive oil, mustard, tomato, green peas and mix. 
2. Add avocado, lime juice, parsley, jalapeño, mayo and mix until all ingredients are blended together.
3. Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes to marinate and let the flavors blend.
4. Salt to taste and serve.

2 comments:

  1. Looks awesome! I might have to try this for my lunch next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much! It was delicious, please let me know if you do make it.

    ReplyDelete